The latest statistics from the HSE website make grim reading:
• 1.2 million working people suffering from a work-related illness
• 2,538 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2013)
• 142 workers killed at work (2014/15)
• 78,000 other injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
• 629,000 injuries at work from the Labour Force Survey
• 28.2 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
• £14.2 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2012/13)
("Contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence". http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics)
If you are found guilty of health and safety offences in a magistrate's court, you could face fines of up to £20,000 and/or up to 12 months imprisonment. Conviction in a Crown Court can result in an unlimited fine and/or a period of imprisonment of up to two years.
Limit your risks and protect your employees
OHSAS 8001 is the internationally recognised management system for assessing and auditing occupational health and safety.
Achieving OHSAS 8001 will help protect your employees from work related illness or injury and help to ensure they don’t add to the above figures.
Benefits of OHSAS 8001 certification include:
• Keeps your company up to date with the latest regulations.
• Limits the risk of prosecutions and fines.
• Confirms your commitment to the health and safety of your employees.
• Improves your company’s reputation with existing customers and when tendering for new business.
• Increases employee morale.
By implementing a robust management system you will minimise the risk of prosecution and improve productivity by reducing potentially expensive disruptions.
The standard applies to all industries and all sizes of business. For more information, call us to discuss the certification process.